Friday, January 31, 2014

To Shellac or Not to Shellac, That is the Question


When it comes to nails, Shellac is probably the most debated topic in the field - So naturally, I decided to give you guys the low-down on all that is shellac.

In my opinion the most important factor in any manicure/pedicure is going to a good salon. I would much rather spend an extra 5 dollars and know I am going to get better service in a cleaner environment, than skimp and be disappointed. I go to a local salon in my area called Queen Bee Nails, which is beyond fabulous. And it is because of this that I think I am such a shellac fanatic. I'm the type of girl who never fails to mess up her nails, and shellac has changed that. Whenever I used to get a regular mani/pedi, I would always end up banging my nails on something before they were dry and would totally ruin them - it was Murphy's Law. I know a lot of people who have struggled with dry and brittle nails after Shellac, but I am not one of them. However, I do have abnormally thick nails that I got from my momma. The only time I've noticed any sort of thinning or breaking of my nails is when I've picked at them and peeled the shellac off - BAD IDEA. Peeling any sort of adhesive off of your nails is going to do your nails damaged, even when you pick regular nail polish off, you're removing a layer of nail, so NO PICKING!

Another important thing to realize is that Shellac is NOT the same as gel, they are two totally different things. Shellac involves thin coats of polish going onto your natural nails that are dried by UV lights, gel involves sculpting and filling of the nails, and that is what causes the most damage. What Shellac offers is a manicure that lasts weeks. I am not exaggerating when I say it has lasted me as long as three weeks without chipping, it is insane the wear you can get out of it. Ultimately, if you have healthy, strong nails, Shellac isn't going to change that, but if you have weak, brittle nails, Shellac isn't going to change that either. The thing I love the most about it, is the zero dry time. There is nothing better than being able to walk out of the nail salon and continue about your business without looking like a freak who won't touch anything. While it is more expensive than a regular manicure, I personally think it is well worth the cost. With regular nail polish I can get maybe 3 days with no chips if I'm really careful, with Shellac, I can do dishes, go to the gym, do whatever I need to, and it won't chip. I do however try and go somewhere between every two to two and a half weeks, just because my nails grow relatively quickly and I don't want the polish to be too far from my cuticle.





As the Shellac market has been growing, so has the color selection, and nowadays if you want a color, they probably have it in Shellac form. OPI has their own line of shellac colors, however they call them 'gel polish.' Don't get confused, it is the same formula as shellac, just a fancier name. It isn't actually the harmful gel. Some of my personal favorites from OPI are listed below;


1. Big Apple Red
2. Peace Love & OPI 
3. Suzi Says Feng Shui 
4. You Don't Know Jaques 
5. A Grape Fit 
6. Bubble Bath 
7. Thanks a WindMillion
8. Pedal Faster Suzi!


And since Valentine's day is coming up right around the corner, I decided to share some festive and cute ways you could do your nails! Treat your self to something new if you haven't tried it before - I'm sure you'll be hooked. 









No comments:

Post a Comment