Sunday, May 24, 2015

#SpringCleaning | Organizing Your Closet

I recently moved out of my dorm at school and into a new apartment, which meant tons of packing and unpacking. While my clothes were pretty organized at the beginning of the move, things got very hectic and messy and my closet ended up being really unorganized, which drives me nuts. While I was organizing I thought it would be helpful to share the ways I keep my clothing organized and maximize the space I have. 


The first thing I recommend doing when Spring cleaning your closet is getting a new set of hangers. Having a set of matching hangers makes a big difference in how your closet looks and can make you feel a lot better about looking through it each day. I chose these black ones from Bed Bath & Beyond, but you can pick any color or type that best suites your personal style. After you've gotten the hangers you want, start by putting the items you won't be using for the seasons to come into storage. I put my winter coats and fur vest into a plastic container and stored them for the upcoming fall/winter to make some more room for seasonal items.


I like to organize my closet a few different ways; first by item type - sleeveless tops, short sleeve tops, long sleeve tops, pants, skirts, dresses, etc. - and then by color within each section; starting from white and going to black. I also like to put all of my business and formal attire separate at the back of my closet. To save space in a small closet like the one I have, I purchased the grey foldable boxes that are on the top shelf of the closet - also from Bed Bath & Beyond. They come in a variety of colors and are very affordable. I got a pack of four, but I've been using three, and while they aren't the most durable, they get the job done. I considered putting labels on the boxes but I didn't like the way it looked; you can of course label them if you want.  I used each box for a different type of item, one for purses, one for sweaters, and one for jeans and leggings. 



The clear containers on the floor are from the container store and are really only there because they are easy to travel with between my home and my dorm. They can be really useful for organizing hard to store or smaller items - I use the smaller ones for nail polish, vitamins, medicine, and light bulbs/batteries, and the bigger ones for non-perishable food items that I have multiples of and beauty/skincare multiples.


As you can see, having organized my clothes the way I mentioned makes a big difference. While my closet may not have been that messy to begin with, it has been before, and this is method that has never failed me. For extra storage, I added 6 over the door hooks, which are amazing for hanging things like bras or jackets, even the current purse you're using. I hope this was helpful - Happy Spring Cleaning
:D

 photo sig_zpsaeb0a1e9.png

No comments:

Post a Comment